The Medical Faculty of The University of Hong Kong (HKU) is the longest established institution in higher education of Hong Kong. It was founded as the Hong Kong College of Medicine for Chinese by London Missionary Society in 1887, and was renamed as the Hong Kong College of Medicine in 1907.
The Faculty was deemed as the premier Faculty when the University was established in 1911. Serving Hong Kong for over a century, it has firmly established itself as a medical school of learning, innovation, and enterprising; it is a medical school of moral, vision, and care. Since its inception, the Faculty has been playing a pioneering role in medical education, training and research.
From its modest beginning, the Faculty has now become the largest faculty of the University, with over 500 full-time academic and academic-related staff and over 600 research and research-related support personnel. The undergraduate student population is about 2,800 and the postgraduate student population is about 600. The Faculty is comprised of 14 Departments and 4 Schools.