1. Discover Molecular Mechanisms and Develop Therapeutic Approaches for Nephrology and Diabesity
Ongoing projects include:
2. Therapeutic Principle of Chinese Medicinal Herbs for Treatment of Cancer and Metabolic Diseases
3. Pharmacology and Toxicology of Chinese Medicinal Herbs
The research concentrates on the clinical trial and experimental study (cell and animal models) of Chinese medicinal herbs for cancer, and diabetic, hepatic and renal diseases by using recently developed techniques in clinical research, molecular biology and immunology.
The research also focuses on the following topics: standardisation and quality control of Chinese medicinal herbs; pharmacological screening and safety evaluation of Chinese medicinal herbs; pharmacological action and its mechanism in Chinese medicinal herbs. The mid- and long-term plans of this research programme include the use of advanced technologies of omics and multiple disciplinary methodologies to analyse the Chinese herbal extract or phytocompound-responsive genes or protein expression profiles in terms of cancer and metabolic diseases. All these activities will lead to new drug discovery from Chinese medicines for cancer, and liver, diabetic, hepatic and renal diseases.
4. Chinese Medicine/Immunology
Chinese herbal medicine has natural advantages in immunomodulation. The research aims to:
5. Targeting Innate Immunity for Resolution of Inflammation and Tissue Repair
Our research focuses on the molecular mechanisms by which Chinese medicines reprogram macrophages and neutrophils against inflammation and tissue remodelling in myocardial infarction, obesity and neurodegenerative diseases.
Our strategy applies genomics, proteomics, chemical biology and cell signalling technologies to identify the active compounds and target proteins in different cell models and animal models.
Our ongoing projects are designed to
Our long-term goal is to develop novel therapeutics for the treatment of myocardial infarction, obesity, depression and neurodegeneration.
6. Chemical Biology for Molecular Medicine: Oxidative and Redox Regulation in Brain Damage and Application for Drug Discovery to Treat Ischaemic Stroke and Multiple Sclerosis
7. Stem Cell Therapy and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for Brain Repair in Post-Stroke Treatment
8. Artificial Intelligence Recognitions for Traditional Chinese Medicine Pulse Patterns and Its Correlation Study with Body Constitution Types in Healthy Human Subjects
9. Clinical Trials for Evaluating Efficacies of TCM Formula for Ischaemic Stroke and Chronic Heart Failure
10. Novel Therapeutic Targets and Mechanisms of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) In Treating Gastrointestinal (GI) Cancers and Metabolic Disorders
The study aims to understand the complicated mechanisms and molecular connection underlying the efficacy of TCM and natural compounds. Our lab is committed to the full use of modern technologies and multidisciplinary platforms to conduct innovative study of TCM, and has been actively engaged in the basic science and translational research on the prevention and treatment of human GI cancers and metabolic disorders using Chinese herbal medicine. Major research areas include:
11. Basic and Clinical Studies on Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine in the Treatment of Neurological and Psychiatric Disorders
For more information or to express interest to join the research areas, please email the supervisor or the specified contact point in the description. Interested candidates are advised to enclose with your email:
Research postgraduate studies enquiries specific to the department/school’s research should be directed to the Chairman of the Departmental Research Postgraduate Committee:
Professor JG Shen
Information on the research programme, funding support and admission documentations could be referenced online at the Research Postgraduate Admissions website.
General admission enquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.