Student Wellness

Counselling Service

Approaching healthcare professionals for assistance when necessary is helpful to get you through tough times. We encourage our students, who will be future healthcare professionals, to take the same approach with their lives.

Our confidential counselling service is free of charge to all postgraduate and undergraduate students at HKUMed. Our counselling records are not linked to academic records. Reasons to seek counselling service include:

  • Coping with stress
  • Managing relationships
  • Dealing with depressed and/or anxious moods
  • Recovering from psychological trauma
  • Alleviating sleep problems
  • Addressing unhealthy coping habits (eg, poor eating habits and/or addictive behaviours)
  • Overcoming phobia
  • Coping with grief and loss

Individual counselling service
Our counsellor will work with you to establish a collaborative, confidential relationship and help you cope and manage your concerns.

Group counselling service
Group counselling creates a welcoming, nonjudgmental environment where students can connect and share their struggles or any other issues in life. Students are encouraged to form groups and attend the counselling session with prior arrangement.

What to expect in your first session?
We will assess your well-being in the first session. Our counsellor will explore and work collaboratively with you on any concerns which you may have. Where necessary, our counsellor may suggest referring you to medical or psychiatric services either in the public or private sector.

All our counselling services adhere to professional, legal, and ethical guidelines established by the University of Hong Kong and professional organisations. All personal information is protected by the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) in Hong Kong.

No information will be disclosed to anyone outside of the Student Wellness Service Team and/or the appointed psychiatrists without your written permission.

How do I know if I need help?
If you notice any of the following signs in yourself or in your peers, please take action and contact your Student Wellness Counsellor!

Changes in:

  • Sleep patterns (e.g.: insomnia or extreme sleepiness, nightmares)
  • Appetite (e.g.: overeating or loss of appetite)
  • Energy level (e.g.: hyperactivity or exhaustion)
  • Behaviors (e.g.: inappropriate to the setting or situation, bizarre or strange behaviors)
  • Mood (e.g.: more irritable, excitable, sensitive, anxious, worry, or depressed)
  • Performance or activity (e.g.: compulsive, erratic, or diminished)
  • Academic performance or behavior. 
  • Engagement with others (e.g.: withdrawal from activities, social interaction, emotional involvement with others, family and friends, etc.)
  • Cognition (e.g.: inability to concentrate or focus, persistent memory lapses, preoccupation, obsessive and ruminating thoughts.)
  • Risk taking (e.g.: impulsivity, reckless behaviors, dangerous or threatening behaviors, illegal acts, inappropriate alcohol consumption, substance use, etc)
  • Self-preoccupation and self-evaluation
  • Outlook to the future (e.g.: pessimism, helplessness, hopelessness, suicidal thoughts)
  • Physical complaints of unknown origin (e.g.: headaches, skeletal pain, gastrointestinal disturbances, cardiovascular problems, frequent illness or accidental injury, dizziness, panic feelings, physical shakiness, shortness of breath, or extreme weakness)