Internship for Overseas Medical Graduates
For medical graduates outside Hong Kong, internship training is provided only to those who passed the Licensing Examination of the Medical Council of Hong Kong (MCHK).
To be eligible for the Licensing Examination, you must satisfy the following criteria:
- complete a 5-year undergraduate medical education (including 12-month internship training) and is of a medical qualification acceptable to the MCHK;
- is of a good character; and
- pay the prescribed application and examination fees.
The Licensing Examination consists of:
- a MCQ paper on Basic and Clinical Sciences, Medical Ethics;
- a paper to test for proficiency in English needed for medical practice;
- a clinical examination;
(You have to pass each paper before progressing to the next.)
When the whole examination is completed successfully, you will then have to serve a 12-month period of Internship (Housemanship) (with the graduates of both Medical Schools in Hong Kong) in the accredited training hospitals in Hong Kong. When you have completed this successfully, you will be eligible for full registration with the MCHK.
For further information regarding the Examination, please visit the MCHK’s homepage at http://www.mchk.org.hk under the topic “Licensing examination” or you can write to the Secretary, Licentiate Committee, Medical Council of Hong Kong, 4/F, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine Jockey Club Building, 99 Wong Chuk Hang Road, Hong Kong. The fax no. is 2554 0577 and email address is: email@example.com