Information for Overseas Applicants

Cost of Living

Overseas applicants offered admission may be required to show that they are able to support themselves financially throughout the course before they are allowed to commence their studies. It is very difficult to provide a precise estimate of the likely cost because it will vary from one person to another depending on the type of accommodation selected and other factors. Usually, the postgraduate scholarship is sufficient to cover food, lodging, general living expenses and tuition fees.


Postgraduate residences are available on campus or nearby and applications from overseas students are welcome. Students should contact the postgraduate residences directly for enquiries on vacancies and booking. Competition for places, however, is keen. For those unable to secure a residential place on campus, rental accommodation in the open market is also available. Admission to the University does not provide any guarantee of accommodation, which remains the responsibility of students. It is therefore in the interest of overseas students to make definite arrangements for accommodation before arrival. Overseas students are advised to consult the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) on accommodation matters. Information on accommodation options for non-local students is available from CEDARS (


All non-local students need to obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Immigration Department normally issues student visas only to applicants who are enrolled in a full-time course in the University.

Useful information on visa matters are available at

Other Information

Other information regarding our University's support for international students can be at