Research Postgraduate Studies
Information for Overseas Applicants

Overseas applicants who have been offered admission may be required to show that they are able to support themselves financially throughout the course before they are permitted to commence their studies.  It is difficult to provide a precise estimate of the cost as it varies depending on the selected type of accommodation and other factors.  The postgraduate scholarship is usually sufficient to cover food, lodging, general living expenses and tuition fees.

Postgraduate residences are available on campus or nearby and applications from overseas students are welcome.  Students should contact the postgraduate residences directly to enquirie on vacancies and booking.  Competition for places, however, is keen.  For those unable to secure a residential place on campus, rental accommodation in the open market is also available.  Admission to the University does not provide any guarantee of accommodation, which remains the responsibility of students.  It is therefore in the interest of overseas students to make definite arrangements for accommodation before arrival.  Information on accommodation options for non-local students is available from the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) and overseas students are advised to consult them on related matter.

Non-local students need to obtain a student visa to study in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Immigration Department normally issues student visas only to applicants who are enrolled in a full-time course in the University. Useful information on visa matters are available at